A biography, or simply bio, is a detailed description of a person's life. It involves more than just the basic facts like education, work, relationships, and death; it portrays a person's experience of these life events. Unlike a profile or curriculum vitae (résumé), a biography presents a subject's life story, highlighting various aspects of his or her life, including intimate details of experience, and may include an analysis of the subject's personality.
Biographical works are usually non-fiction, but fiction can also be used to portray a person's life. One in-depth form of biographical coverage is called legacy writing. Works in diverse media, from literature to film, form the genre known as biography.
An authorized biography is written with the permission, cooperation, and at times, participation of a subject or a subject's heirs. An autobiography is written by the person himself or herself, sometimes with the assistance of a collaborator or ghostwriter.
Things you can do
On this day – August 20
- 1776 - Bernardo O'Higgins, (pictured) South American revolutionary (d. 1842)
- 1779 - Jöns Jakob Berzelius, Swedish chemist (d. 1848)
- 1833 - Benjamin Harrison, 23rd President of the United States (d. 1901)
- 1845 - St. Albert Chmielowski, Polish Catholic Saint (d. 1916)
- 1873 - Gottlieb Eliel Saarinen, Finnish architect (d. 1950)
- 1901 - Salvatore Quasimodo, Italian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1968)
- 1910 - Eero Saarinen, Finnish architect (d. 1961)
- 1913 - Roger Wolcott Sperry, American neurobiologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1994)
- 1916 - Paul Felix Schmidt, Estonian–German chess player (d. 1984)
- 1923 - Jim Reeves, American singer (d. 1964)
- 1941 - Slobodan Milošević, President of Serbia and of Yugoslavia (d. 2006)
- 1943 - Sylvester McCoy, Scottish actor
- 1944 - Rajiv Gandhi, Prime Minister of India (d. 1991)
- 1948 - Robert Plant, English singer (Led Zeppelin)
- 1974 - Maxim Vengerov, Russian violinist
Did you know
Quote of the week
"Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't."
— Richard Bach
In Illusions, 1977